Homemade Gluten Free Bread
When going gluten-free, one of the hardest things to give up is bread! Store-bought gluten-free breads don’t always make the cut, and the ones that do taste great and aren’t full of nasties, usually put a serious dent in your grocery budget. Enter homemade gluten-free bread. This recipe is the best one I’ve tried by far, and I have made a few gluten-free breads! It seems a little tricky and time-consuming when you read through all the instructions, but once you’ve made it once, it’s really easy to do on a weekly basis.
I bake this bread most weekends, and it lasts the week well (if we don’t eat half of it when it comes out of the oven) wrapped in a clean tea towel or in a bread bag/box. It looks like a time-consuming process, but it’s just the double-resting that takes some time, so start the process in the morning, set your timer a few times and you’ll have a beautiful bread done by the afternoon. The mixing of ingredients is simple enough and you can find all the ingredients you need at the supermarket. Like most gluten-free breads, it’s best fresh when eaten straight out of the oven, otherwise toasted after a day or two.
8g baker’s yeast
390g warm water
20g psyllium husk
130g buckwheat flour
100g tapioca flour
90g brown rice flour
12g apple cider vinegar
Ice cubes, to bake
- Mix yeast, sugar and 150g of warm water. Set aside for 10-15min.
- In a second bowl, mix psyllium husk, 240g warm water for 10-30 seconds.
- In a third bowl, mix buckwheat, tapioca and brown rice flours, adding salt.
- Add the yeast mix, psyllium husk mix and apple cider vinegar to the flour mixture. Knead for 5-10 minutes,
- Place the kneaded mix in an oiled bowl. Rest in a warm place for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, knead the mixture again and rest for another 1 hour in a warm place.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees C and line a bread tin with baking paper.
- Bake the bread in the tin with 3-4 ice cubes between the tin and the baking paper – one in each corner of the tin.
- To create moisture and steam in the oven, place a large baking dish with a cup or so of boiling water in it, in the bottom of the oven.
- Bake the bread on the middle shelf of your oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes is up, remove the baking dish with water, and bake the bread for another 45-50 minutes at 230 degrees C.
- Allow to cool before slicing with a bread knife. Store in a tightly wrapped tea towel or in a bread bag/box. Enjoy!